Re: [K12OSN] Class Textbooks & Lessons

Jason Leydon wrote:
I saw some sites in the past that goes over some textbook and lesson plan material that seems to work very well in the K12LTSP setup for a classroom.

I cannot find the links any more and thought maybe some people out there might have some ideas. Anything would help. What we currently have planned for classes (some of them are in place but new lesson plans / online text books would help):

C++ Programming
Java Programming
Basic Programming

This has links to lots of good stuff, although I came across it specifically while looking for the "How to think like a computer scientist" open book, which has been "ported" to Java, Python, and C++.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/

Another Java resource is IBM's Robocode. It's a game where your program robots in Java to battle each other. What better reason to learn programming than to whip the kid next to you with little robot tanks. Here's the link:

http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/home/home.html

We currently also have an Office 2000 course but might integrate StarOffice 6.0 and/or OpenOffice 1.0 into that, since these are new I doubt much is out on it but will definately be looking for some stuff.

You might look at Sun's documentation for StarOffice 6. I saw a link to a PDF manual somewhere. Can someone refresh my memory?

Also, our graphics class will be using high-end programs like Photoshop 6, Illustrator 10, Dreamweaver etc.... perhaps some stuff on /The Gimp/ would be nice.

Here's the best I could come up with on The Gimp. I admit to being severly Gimp ignorant, being a long-time Photoshop holdout. I shall repent, go forth, and sin no more. ;-)

http://empyrean.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/~nem/gimp/tuts/

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District