Re: [K12OSN] Class Textbooks & Lessons

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

> I'm currently working on a book for new programmers, but I'm not sure it
> would work here.  It's at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~johnnyb/computers/ProgrammingGroundUp/
>
> I'd be interested in any feedback about the book.

Nice -- I like the 'notes to self' annotation, and infer that
helps you know when you are done fleshing out the outline
sufficiently.  Certainly a 'take no prisoners - no training
wheels' approach as to language choices.  Needs spell checked,
in spot checking.

Interesting that you've reviewed "The UNIX Guide to
Defenestration" -- watershed book and author
at  http://www.winface.com/

-- We could use him on this list, too, to help focus some
things on an Open Source advocacy at K12 as a gateway to the
'real world' after education.  I vision a future of computer
use as that of a 'culture of *nix tool builders, from the
present more passive Windows / Mac model of tool users' (my
shorthand on that same culture clash which 'Defenestration'
addresses).

-- Russ Herrold