[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #215 - 8 msgs

Well, I have satisfied myself with using Linux to access the internet and a few other things (love the Gimp) but I think the time to get this thing working for real has come. The tone of this message may seem more severe than intend, I think, but all the same, I regard the issues I present as serious and in need of resolution.

As a teacher one of the things I primarily need from a computer is the ability to produce and PRINT documents.  I still have not been able to get my printer to work.  It is a Compaq IJ1200/Lexmark z42 and the driver was included in the K12os.  I get a "localhost/localdomain bad" msg.  What does this mean and how do I fix it?
Someone asked if I set the domain during installation, but I don't know what that's all about.  When it asked for a domain I though it was asking for an IP, and my IP is server assigned.  In using other distros I found that I could install the driver for this printer, but still could not print.  The printer dialogue box would come up and jobs were even sent to the queu and then dissipated as though the machine really believed it had printed them, but the printer never even burped. Now, with RH7.2 based k12os, it simply gives the localdomain/localhost bad msg and no further response. (admittedly, this printer gives me trouble in windows, too, occassionally--no dough to upgrade or replace presently)

Also, I have tried like the dickens to install a number of programs with absolutely no success and am becoming increasingly frustrated with this endeavour.  I have tried over and over with several distros to install kHangman and always get a failed dependencies msg.  I went and acquired the missing libraries AND couldn't install them either!  Have had simliar experiences trying to install and use gnErudite (scrabble clone).  Other products I have tried to install and/or use with no luck include Corel PhotoPaint for Linux, PostgreSQL (for which I paid dough), and Quanta, as well as more edutainment/games from Linux4kids.org .
the inability to install and use software built for this OS is maddening.  There is a great deal of awesome software available, it seems, but I can't get half of it to work. A very valid question, I should think, is why don't developers release programs WITH all necessary libraries included?  Perhpas I shouldn't complain if it were simply a matter of finding easily accessible files in one location and readily installing them, but I have spent hours and days trying to find libraries for programs, only to find that I can't install them without other libraries, etc, etc, in an infinite regression, world without end.

I can not, for the dickens, play an audio cd, either, although realplayer and xmms will play mp3s and a few other formats and I can mount the CDRom with data/program cds (such as the PostgreSQL that I couldn't install).

Okay, perhaps I should harass the PostgreSQL folks about their program, since I paid them for it...There is no install, configure, make, or even readme file on the entire disc they sent, so I'm lost.

These kind of things I have more or less accepted for a while as I have played in Linux, but now that I have been using this OS for a while, I expect to be able to do these basic things and I can't.  I NEED to be able to do these things if I am to bring Linux to school as anything more than a curiosity and/or break out of windows.  I would like to have these issues resolved over the summer, at least.  I could install software, play cds and print in Windows within the first hour of using it.  Don't get me wrong, Windows crashes all the time and M$ are a bunch o greedy capitalist pigs to whom I wish to pay no more money, so I want to use Linux, but do I have to get a degree in Computer Science to perform routine functions like print documents?  Ease of use is precisely why Windows has such a monopoly.  I am interested in learning about software development and kernel hacking and all, and I know that those things will require great time and commitment, but printing should not, !
nor should installing a program, in my estimation.  I suspect more reading might be helpful, but as a teacher, grad student and  single parent I get aobut 4 hours of sleep a night as it is.  No more time for reading...
Everytime I do up2date it seems I have to reconfigure the entire desktop and half the ui tools (mouse, etc), too.

Am I just too stupid for Linux?  Too impatient?  I fear that my frustration is more apparent than suits me, but how can I hide it?  I have always been candid.
I do not expect everyone of these issues to be solved immediately, of course, but wish to make some major progress, now.  I have received some excellent assistance here on other issues, so submit this request with all respect and hope of meeting with similar success.  Please keep in mind that I am an English teacher whose only real programming experience (accepting Basic on an Atari 400 back in the dark ages) is writing web pages in html.  Over half of what I have read on this list might as well have been Chinese to me.

I can not impress upon you well enough how much your efforts are appreciated.

tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Read, Connect, Learn!

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email yourgroup org by Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag