Re: [K12OSN] Re: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #215 - 8 msgs

I don't know if you have been responded to yet or not, but anyway, here is
how I see it.

1) Your printer is probably broken in some way.  Sorry, tough luck.  There
is probably some problem that Linux can't recover from, but Windows can.
The only thing I can think to tell you is to copy the last 1000 lines from
/var/log/messages 10 minutes after you attempt a print.  Also, send a copy
of /etc/hosts

2) On installations, are you installing the RPMs?  If you are, then more
specific examples of what the program was and what the failed dependencies
were would be helpful.  If you are installing from source, on any missing
dependencies you need to have both the libraries and the development tools
for the libraries.  Many libraries have a main RPM and a -devel RPM - to
build from source you need both.

There is a definite fault in the current packaging systems, at least how I
view them.  The way that Windows gets by this is that most installations
also include installations of all dependencies - which is why Windows
programs have such large installers.  If you've ever upgraded MS Office,
they basically give you most of the latest operating system.
Unfortunately, I don't think the current Linux packaging systems allow you
to include dependencies in the package, although it would be nice.

Linux is currently best when it is set up by a geek.  Once that happens,
anyone can easily use it.  Setting it up, especially if it involves adding
packages that don't come with the distribution, is not trivial.  The base
OS install is usually pretty easy, but adding things afterwards is
sometimes less than straightforward.  One way around this is by getting a
distribution that already has just about everything you could possibly
want loaded onto  one of the 18 bazillion CDs it ships with.  This way,
you don't have to worry about whether or not you have the dependencies you
need when you install.

Linux is a different mindset.  It's not harder, but it definitely is
different - and it gives the user more control.  It is actually more
straightforward, but being straightforward means that the user has to have
some knowledge.  On non-straightforward systems, when problems occur, the
only solution is "reinstall".

Jonathan Bartlett

> Also, I have tried like the dickens to install a number of programs with absolutely no success and am becoming increasingly frustrated with this endeavour.  I have tried over and over with several distros to install kHangman and always get a failed dependencies msg.  I went and acquired the missing libraries AND couldn't install them either!  Have had simliar experiences trying to install and use gnErudite (scrabble clone).  Other products I have tried to install and/or use with no luck include Corel PhotoPaint for Linux, PostgreSQL (for which I paid dough), and Quanta, as well as more edutainment/games from Linux4kids.org .
> the inability to install and use software built for this OS is maddening.  There is a great deal of awesome software available, it seems, but I can't get half of it to work. A very valid question, I should think, is why don't developers release programs WITH all necessary libraries included?  Perhpas I shouldn't complain if it were simply a matter of finding easily accessible files in one location and readily installing them, but I have spent hours and days trying to find libraries for programs, only to find that I can't install them without other libraries, etc, etc, in an infinite regression, world without end.
>
> I can not, for the dickens, play an audio cd, either, although realplayer and xmms will play mp3s and a few other formats and I can mount the CDRom with data/program cds (such as the PostgreSQL that I couldn't install).
>
> Okay, perhaps I should harass the PostgreSQL folks about their program, since I paid them for it...There is no install, configure, make, or even readme file on the entire disc they sent, so I'm lost.
>
> These kind of things I have more or less accepted for a while as I have played in Linux, but now that I have been using this OS for a while, I expect to be able to do these basic things and I can't.  I NEED to be able to do these things if I am to bring Linux to school as anything more than a curiosity and/or break out of windows.  I would like to have these issues resolved over the summer, at least.  I could install software, play cds and print in Windows within the first hour of using it.  Don't get me wrong, Windows crashes all the time and M$ are a bunch o greedy capitalist pigs to whom I wish to pay no more money, so I want to use Linux, but do I have to get a degree in Computer Science to perform routine functions like print documents?  Ease of use is precisely why Windows has such a monopoly.  I am interested in learning about software development and kernel hacking and all, and I know that those things will require great time and commitment, but printing should not!
, !
!