Re: [K12OSN] Re: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #217 - 7 msgs

The best advice I can give you is this.

Find a Linux Users Group (LUG) in your area. If none is available, check
the local high schools and colleges for a knowledgeable Linux user,
preferably with several years experience, who will help you. The quickest
way to end your frustration and get productive is hands-on guidance from an
experienced GNU/Linux user.

I tried to learn FreeBSD from their printed manual, The Complete BSD. But I
couldn't even install FreeBSD on a good plain vanilla computer. After at
six months or more of frustration I said "to hell with this." I discovered
the Michiana Linux Users Group (MLUG).

Bye bye FreeBSD! Hello Gnu/Linux!

I've been steadily acquiring and applying knowledge, always with help, for
nearly three years. It is great!

Tom

At 04:09 AM 06/09/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>>From: yan seiner <yan cardinalengineering com>
>>To: k12osn redhat com
>>Date: 07 Jun 2002 07:03:03 -0400
>>Subject: [K12OSN] Install problems (was: Re: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #216 -
12 msgs)

>>Tony:
>>
>>It sounds like you have some permissions problems.  Sorry if this is at
>>a too-basic level; I don't know enough about your background.
>
>Don't apologize, be as basic as possible.  I'd rather you insulted my
intellegence and I was able to use the information than for you to assume I
 know stuff I don't.  This was good:

>>Linux has much, much tighter security than Windows.  In Windows (at
>>least the 9x/me variety) there really is no concept of security; anyone
>>can do anything.
>>
>>In Linux, ordinary users have very, very limited permissions to mess
>>with the OS itself.  'root' is the 'superuser' - the one who can do
>>anything.  Normally, you should run as an ordinary user, and only login
>>as root to do specific tasks like installing new system-software.  You
>>can install 'personal' software in your /home/user directory, including
>>any libraries you need, but then they'd only be available to you and not
>>to other users.
>
>Okay, I have generally been doing omst config stuff as root, including
installation of software.

-snip-