Re: [K12OSN] ICEWM and Sound in Mozilla

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Caleb Wagnon wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>My LTSP will be nearly full throttle ready for next year if I can get some of these minor things taken care of. These terminals will be used for our online curriculum which consists of educational games created with flash and shockwave (I'm using the crossover plugin to get shockwave 8.5 and flash 6 to work in linux, it's great!). My web browser is Mozilla and the window manager I'm using is icewm. I chose default from the install but apparently its icewm-gnome. My dilema is that I really want sound. I know sound works with the thinknics because I had it set up before and I had sound in KDE when I would log into a terminal as root but no other user would work. With the 2.1.0 distro I can't get sound to work for anyone. I don't know if icewm has system sounds or not and I don't even care. I just want sound to work in Mozzilla so the kids will have sound in flash and shockwave. Any help out there?

Icewm doesn't make any difference here (only KDE is problematic).

The only thing that jumps to mind is that the crossover plugin is manipulating
the LD_PRELOAD variable that is used to get remote sound to work.

I don't have the crossover plugin, so you'll have to do the debugging for
me here...

 1) fire up something that uses the crossover plugin
 2) figure out the process ID (run "ps aux", it's probably towards to the
    bottom)
 3) cd to "/proc/<process id>", for example if the process ID of the plugin
    is 12345 you would cd to /proc/12345
 4) run "cat environ" and look for "LD_PRELOAD", it's ususally right at the
    start. It should look something line:

PWD=/tmpLD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesddsp.soHOSTNAME=server.ltsp, etc, etc

Let us know if the LD_PRELOAD includes "/usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesddsp.so"

Also, does thing such as Quicktime (which also uses the same plugin, IIRC)
generate sound on the terminals?

-Eric