Re: [K12OSN] up2date

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:51:25AM -0700, anthony baldwin wrote:
> Well,
> I ran up2date again.  this time it doesn't seem to have affected any of my configurations, except, it appears to have deleted all of my Mozilla favorites files.  That's not a tragedy, but it is annoying to say the least.
> I had bookmarked a numbero f How-Tos and other valuable information which I now must ferret out again.
> Why do the updates screw stuff up?  I'm becoming reluctant to use them.

1. Please add your comments below the text you want to comment.

2. Learn to cut text you don't comment.

3. Your post is off-topic.

4. for automated updates to work (even in more situations of complex
dependencies), the package management system needs a good policy, that
is strictly enforced. I have found Debian (www.debian.org) to have a
good, and strictly enforced package managament policy. I have no
experience in automated upgrading Red Hat systems but: if your
"Mozilla favorites files" where under /home, they are probably still
there (No packaging system should never touch /home), if the were in
/etc backups was probably made during the upgrade.

Good Luck!

--

Hans Ekbrand