Re: [K12OSN] CIPA and xxxGUARD

Kirk,

The way I understand it....the CIPA ruling ONLY applies to public
libraries NOT schools.....we are still bound by CIPA and are required to
take steps to have filtering online by July 1.  Thank god for squid.
squidguard and/or Dansguardian.  I'm running squid and DG on an E-Smith
box (Linux) and it's working great.  We had a commercial solution from
N2H2....boy was I happy to ditch that!

k12osn redhat com writes:
>No - I agree with you completely - that is why I put this current ruling
>info out on the list. I hope that, as soon as I can get hold of the
>ruling,
>to determine what impact it actually has on schools. Sometimes you wonder
>whose side the ACLU is on!  ...or even if the left actually extends to
>where they reside ;-)
>
>http://www.ala.org/cipa/cipatrial9.html is a link - I have not had the
>time
>to review the implications.....
>
>We "fixed" it at the school I was working with - we have NO Internet
>connectivity, not even a dial up line. (although they are working on it)
>
>Kirk

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School