Re: [K12OSN] CIPA and xxxGUARD

> if it does, the implications "may" be that, by installing filtering
> software (xxxGuard) is illegal? Hopefully, the arguments main tenant on
> "restricting adults' access" may leave CIPA intact for schools.... but it
> is something to be aware of.

That is certainly the logical conclusion of the ACLU's argument. And it
would be the next logical step for the judge to say that since the ACLU
successfuly argued that filtering content violates the 1st amendment, that
all filtering by public institutions is now illegal.

Fortunatly, while logic moves easily to that next step, our legal system
doesn't. All this case has the power to decide is whether forcing filtering
is legal, they can't say that filtering is illegal...there's a subtle
difference. What this does do is set president, so if some wacko decides to
go to court to make filtering illegal, he has a prior case to base an
argument on. However, there is a huge difference between getting a judge to
overturn a law forcing institutions to filter content, and getting a judge
to make it illegal for content to be filtered. I don't think we need to
worry too much about our Squid boxes being confiscated ;)

-Ben