RE: [K12OSN] CIPA and xxxGUARD

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 10:06, James wrote:
> I'm definitely for freedom in libraries.
>
> In schools, the only thing I would block would be pornography
> (obviously).
>
> Remember at the same time that you have filtering you need an adequate
> acceptable use policy for staff and students, that includes sufficient
> (but correct) reprimands for infractions.  Filters cannot block 100% of
> everything all the time.  Plus put people who are determined to get at
> filtered material into the mix and it becomes absolutely statistically
> impossible.  Use filters to stop the majority (or even a significant
> portion), and you've done the most you can do.  Let your AUP handle it
> from there.
>
> - James
I Agree, filters aren't the 100% solution. And I believe an adequate
acceptable use policy is the main key. I disagree however that
pornography should be the only thing blocked. Racism, music, and games
that suck down bandwidth are serious issues here. Since the
implementation of this squid filter, of course all our problems aren't
solved, but those problems were drastically reduced. Yes, punishment
would take care of that. We have a lack of punishment here, while we can
make an acceptable use policy including the consequences that will be
administered, we aren't in charge of administering this punishment and
often kids get to slide by. With the filter we catch it before it
becomes a problem. Now say a class needs to research racism, but its
blocked. I can see where that would be a problem. The teacher can let me
know this, and I can schedule the racism blacklist to be down for the
specific ip addresses of those machines in the library at that specific
time. I guess it really just depends on your situation. Different
schools will have different needs. I'm not for all schools blocking
everything because we don't all have the same issues. I don't want the
government to tell us we have to block music, racism and games, but I
don't want them to tell us what we can't block either. All I'm for is
the government letting us have control of our network, we know our needs
better than they do.

--
Caleb Wagnon, MCP
Fordyce Public Schools