Re: [K12OSN] CIPA and xxxGUARD

I agree...think of it this way....in a school we don't allow just anyone
to use the phones in any way they see fit...making personal phone calls
all over the world just because they have the right to free speech.  In
fact, many schools block outside access or long distance access with the
phone system (and nobody seems to mind).  Why the big uproar over
filtering computers?  It's not about free speech.  So should I ask the
library to stock Playboy and Hustler in the school's magazine rack...or
perhaps the "Joy of Sex" in the reference section?  Public libraries are
VERY different from schools.  As for the faculty....tell them to go to the
public library if they want to see something that is otherwise not
educationally relevant.  I run DG so if a staff member feels a site has
been blocked in error...they email me...I chack it out for anything
obvoius...and then unblock it...and we all go our merry way.  Local
control...........

k12osn redhat com writes:
>Caleb,
>	somehow i am convinced that you block more than just porn. the
>faculty members are presumably grownups, so blocking the content
>inappropriate for children doesn't really apply. the free speech rights
>you are happily trampling are those of the faculty as well - you know,
>speech is nice when there are people listening, otherwise it is whistling
>in the wind. there is a very wide area between a full block and full
>access, and i can tell you one thing from experience in a totalitarian
>country - full access is much, much better than full, or even partial
>block.
>	all that said. i'll say that it is better to block in a school
>setting than not to block and have a few stations, possibly supervised,
>open for any and all kinds of research. i have it easier - i work for a
>regular company and i get to block everything on the assumption that if it
>is a legitimate business purpose i'll open up the site.
>julius
>
>p.s. oh, and yes, we WANT the faculty that streams any legal content. if
>you get child porn, call the cops, that's how it is supposed to work.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us