[K12OSN] Squid error

Quickie:

I am attempting to restart the squid service and I am getting the following
error when I type service squid status:

squid dead but pid file exists
squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process 20807: (3) No such process

if I do a ps -A, sure enough no pid 20807 is there. I try to do a 'service
squid start' and it says ok but the service doesn't start. If I do a
'service squid stop' I get a failed response.

Please help...

Aaron