Re: [K12OSN] CIPA and xxxGUARD

Have you considered a squid acl based on workstation logins?
We have a setup where dansguardian is implemented on one machine
and squid on another.  Normally squid refuses all requests from any
machine except the dansguardian.  However we can allow faculty to make
direct requests to squid based on identd reporting the faculty
username.  The faculty can set their web proxy to be either the squid or
the dansguardian using either filtered or unfiltered access.  This allows
faculty to check web pages that might be blocked by the filter configuration
but are considered appropriate for the classroom.  Based on this we can
fine-tune the filter configuration. identd is not the most bullet proof
authentication, and there may be other higher security ways to set it
up.  We thought the identd was sufficient for our use since the students
are closely supervised in the computer lab.  Also, we only provide web
access, no email or other services.

It might be possible to have unfiltered access for adults and filtered
access for children coexisting peacefully on the same network if you have
centralized authentication.  There may be legitimate questions about
appropriate use by adult faculty in a school, but this might be handled as
a separate issue based on AUP and auditing of the squid logs.

Just some thoughts.