[K12OSN] About this list...

Hello Folks,

Back when our school first started using Linux, our primary source of
support was friendly Linux users willing to answer questions via email.

We've been successfully using Linux for 6 years now. I knew that there
would be others interested in using Linux in schools so we started a
couple of web sites and a listserv.

Since then we have developed K12LTSP, K12Linux, and the K12OS sites. Our
hope with the K12LTSP distribution was to provide an easy way for
schools to install workstations, terminal servers and generic Linux
servers for all kinds of purposes. The web sites reflect those goals and
the list is full of people from all levels of experience getting help
for their schools.

We knew that the #1 need for schools would be a place where they could
ask questions, often basic in nature, and get knowledgeable help.
Through the help and generosity of the Linux/Open Source community the
Linux in Schools projects have been very successful. A large measure of
that success is due to the members of this list.

Just a refresher here about the purpose and nature of the list:
The primary users are new to Linux and are trying to use Linux in their
schools. There will be questions reflecting a wide range of projects and
interests. All the questions and answers are archived and those archives
are linked on the K12Linux sites.

You would have to go pretty far to be off topic but if you are I'll
contact you privately, not on the list. I think this list is a healthy
one. We've established a good user base and we have a good mix of new
users and experts. All listservs will have their share of users who go
to far in discussing too little and make too much of it. We're bigger
than that and beyond letting that get in our way. If you're not
interested in a thread just don't read it. If you can help then join in.

Keep in mind that most school technology folks don't have enough time to
keep their current software working much less learn a new OS. Many are
experimenting with Linux during their own time trying to make school
dollars go farther. It's the right thing to do for the kids. They know
that and they don't mind working long hours to make their schools a
better place.

Thanks again to all of you who have helped us over the years. If you're
in Portland come by and see us on July 4th for Software Freedom Day.
http://k12ltsp.org/software_freedom.html

If you are not in Portland host your own event and show some other
school folks how cool Linux is and how supportive the Open Source
community is.

;-) Paul
Paul Nelson................... pnelson riverdale k12 or us
Riverdale School, 11733 SW Breyman Ave, Portland, OR 97219
school (503)636-4511.....................fax (503)635-6342
Riverdale Web Page......... http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us