[K12OSN] LTSP on Sparc

Colleagues,

Sorry for being in limbo for the last few months.  I've been quietly
working on something that maybe of use to a lot of folks.  especially
those with old Sparcstations or which they could use all the cheep Sparc
equipment being sold on Ebay and other actions.

I have a working i386 server running Red Hat Linux 7.3 (K12LTSP load)
serving i386, mac and Sparc clients. :)  I'm using Sparcstation 5's, yes
110 mhz machines with 128 mb. In fact, they run quicker as thin clients
then a local Linux load.  It should be noted that since Sun uses open
boot these clients only need the proper open boot command to allow them
to always boot from the net along with the proper rarpd and dhcp set up
at the server level. Point being no boot disk or flashing of and Prom.
:)

Currently my testing includes a small server 400mhz PIII with 256 mb of
ram serving 3 i386 (celeron 333mhz, 64mb) clients and 3 of the above
mentioned Sparc stations and a slower (speed escapes me right this
second) mac clone.  I will soon be putting this through scaling test to
see how many clients of similar variants it can handle.  I will also be
adding some slower PII i386 clients, a windoze 2000 **cough** **cough**
and Novell print and file sharing server **sneeze** **sneeze** to the
mix to simulate more of a heterogeneous environment.

At that point I will be migrating the server to a 1.4G Athlon with 1 Gig
of Ram and doing the same tests.  I'm hoping this will give some numbers
that we can offer to schools.  I will also be working with Tom "Spot"
Callaway and Jeff Johnson to get the Sparc solution finely tuned and
packaged into rpms.  The current ltsp client uses the 2.2.19 kernel and
buzybox for shell purposes.  I will, with the help of Spot moving this
to more of a 2.4 based solution for version 2.

If anyone has ideas of numbers and such they'd like to see let me know.
Any other input would also be of great interest to me.

--
Regards,
BMan  (Brian Gray)

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."
A.E.