Re: [K12OSN] WEB ON/OFF Control over web access to terminals

On Tuesday 11 June 2002 9:30 am, aust_txv ACCESS-K12 org wrote:
> Greetings,
> Any direction would be really cool.
>
> Problem: 1) Students browsing the web while teachers do their thing...
> 2) Maybe a bigger issue...teachers leaving the classroom while kids are on
> the Internet....yes I know that's a NO-NO but I can't be in 300 classrooms
> all at once...although that would be neat ;)

Big Brother is watching......

> Question:
> Using the k12ltsp model of one powerful workstation serving maybe 5-10
> terminal boxes in a classroom.  I would like the teachers to have to turn
> access to the web on/off to the clients.  This option should be OFF by
> default and timed to return to default after 60 minutes.   I don't want to
> cut off network access because kids save to another server - just web
> access.

Cutting full web access can potentially cause some administrative headaches if
you ever need to get in when its "off" Would just blocking port 80 traffic be
sufficent? Maybe a list of a few other ports, such as AIM, MSN, etc, etc.
You would want to leave ssh on I would think, and maybe webmin if you use
that.

> a bash script that says "turn on/off access to the web for 60 minutes "
> with a desktop icon ??  A webmin module ??

Perhaps what you want is several scripts: an init  script that creates a new
chain in iptables to block the web requests, etc on "start" and on "stop"
that deletes that chain (thus, allowing it).  Then you can have put it in
init.d for startup so the default is off. Then, you just need to use the at
command as someone with sufficent privledges to execute the commands. eg  "at
11:00" <hit enter> "/etc/init.d/webblock start" <hit ^d > Then type
"/etc/init.d/webblock stop" to allow access.  Then at 11:00 the at deamon
will run your command to block access.  I am not very good at iptables, but
this is very scriptable, just look up the "at" command to see how it works.
You could probobly even write a webmin module if you wanted to do it in perl.

Jay