Re: [K12OSN] CIPA and xxxGUARD

	Well, guys, it seems that many took reading lessons, but skipped the
comprehention classes.
	First, the whole discussion is careering toward "censorship is
good" versus "censorship is bad", so i promise to keep quiet after this
missive.
	Second, it is entirely possible that US Patent Office is staffed
by people like Don here and would issue me a patent on ridiculous
argument that censoring material available to teachers amounts to free
speech infringment. after all they issued patents on token ring and
routinely issue patents for software concepts.
	Third, teachers are NOT employees like any others in private
companies, and if they really are, the children in your schools are being
cheated out of decent education. Teachers' work is supposed to involve
continuing education. I see Don walking home at night to spend an hour or
two on his dial-up connect to look up information on Nortel switches
because his employer, Cisco, blocked the access at work. And to anticipate
the argument here: *everything* might be of value to teaching.
	Fourth, the argument that "it isn't censorship because we could
just withold internet access" is downright silly. Next step wuld be to say
that censoring newspapers before they reach school is fine, because we
could ban them in the teachers' lodge.
	Fifth, should we raise the administrators' renumeration now that
they are supposed to be the filter guardians? Do we really want them to be
filter guardians?
	my last 2 cents (almost literally, the taxes went up to pay for
more schools and school administrators)

p.s. in the interest of full disclosure: i am not a teacher and i don't
have children. my only contacts with educational establishment is the
insane nj property tax and this list, on the other hand i don't have
another planet, so i'll be stuck living with the products of our schools.
and believe me, it ain't pretty when you interview those products.