printer problems (was Re: [K12OSN] thou unmuzzled fly-bitten pignut)

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:54:24AM -0700, anthony baldwin wrote:
> Okay, well, then, as now, I deleted everything that was not relevant to my post.
> Perhpas you are receiving the list in digest and receieiving everyone else's posts
> simultaneously.  I can assusre that I am deleeting everything here not related to
> this particular post.  I have not control over whatever else you receive.

I do not use the digest version. To see your own post try
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/k12osn/2002-June/001892.html

> >>=20
> >> How can a post revolving around the RH updates to the RH 7.2 based K12 OS=
> > be off-topic on a list for the RH based K12 OS?
> >
> >There might be different opinions on this but my take on the matter is
> >that K12 OS should be regarded as a distribution on its own, and the
> >focus of this list is the (terminal) server functionality. If you want
> >to use K12 OS as a desktop distribution go ahead and do so, but I
> >think it is more apropriate to discuss general Red Had matters (RH 7.2
> >and up2date, not to mention your previously raised printer problems)
> >elsewhere, e.g. on a mailing list for users of Red Hat.
>
> This is the K12OS redhat com list, as the headers on these messages clearly indicate.
> I will continue to post issues related to the K12OS to this list.
> I hardly think issues that a newbie is having with this particular operating
> system are any less relevant than discussion of the Children's Internet Protection
> Act or any other number of things I have seen discussed here, including Windows related issues and more.

OK, to call your post OT was a bit harsh. But look at it from another
point of view: you might have a better chance to get help with certain
questions on other lists than this one.

> >BTW. please wrap your text at 72 chars/line, so it can be easily read
> >(and quoted a couple of times) on standard 80x25 terminals. Thank you.
>
> I am using a web-based mail server and have no control over text wrapping on your machine.

Well, the MIME type you used, "text/plain" is meant to be displayed
"as is" by the mail user agent. And RFC 2822 says the following
about line lengths in email:

2.1.1. Line Length Limits

   There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
   characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
   998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
   the CRLF.

Having that said, I do understand that you perhaps cannot configure
your mail-user-agent (a web-service) to comply with the standards.
Still, if no one complains, then the web-based mail server will never
be fixed.

> Really, you say you want to help move OSS into school but when
> TEACHER and LIBRARY PROFESSOINAL comes on with difficulties you
> treat him terribly.

1. I have offered you some advices, e.g.
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/k12osn/2002-May/001531.html

2. I have also, perhaps in a rude way, given guidelines on how to post
to this mailinglist.

If you find that I have thereby treated you terribly, then I
apologize, it was not my intention.

>  Perhaps you should rethink your position.

My position on what?

> NOW, about the printer...
> Well, I needed an ink cartridge so rather than spend another $50 on a cartridge for a printer that has been giving me headaches, I spent $70 for a new printer, a Lexmark z33.
> I have downloaded and installed the driver, as well as enscript-1.6.1 which I located at rpmfind, since a dependency was indicated.
> the driver installed fine.
> When I tried to print a test page I got another Localhost bad msg.
> This is getting tiring.
> I did a stack trace and got this:
>
> Get_local_host: hostname "localhost" bad

[...]

> I thought I was onto something with someone, but I did'nt get a response from my last post (well, not a helpful one, just Hans' moaning.)
>
> Please assist.

As I stated in
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/k12osn/2002-May/001531.html

1. read the manual page for hosts.

~>man hosts

2. edit /etc/hosts.

There should be a line in that file like this one

127.0.0.1       localhost

If there is not, add one.

--

Hans Ekbrand