[K12OSN] Gconfd trouble on new install

I have recently reinstalled with the latest on a single NIC system running
on the 10. subnet. I use NIS and share a common home directory. I don't
know if any of this matters but there it is.
I try to run gnome or icewm and I get an error saying that it seems there
is possibly another instance of gconfd running somewhere and maybe I need
to enable TCP/IP in th ORBit config files. I can run it as root
however.And KDE is fine accept of course for things like evolution which
depend to some degree on this.
Anyone here familiar with the underbelly of gnome? I rarely use it but I
do use a few of the gnome programs and they are malfunctioning if they are
running at all this way.
Thanks as always,
Tom Possin