[K12OSN] Rawhide!

The school year is coming to a close and the weather is simply amazing (at
least here in Portland).  Rather than going outside, you could play around
with the recently released K12LTSP 2.1.0... but that appears to be fairly
stable which is hardly any fun at all.

To spare you from all that sunshine and boring, stable releases, I've created
a development build of K12LTSP based on Red Hat's Rawhide. Now you have an
excuse to stay inside and hack all day long!

Well, maybe not ;-)

Just in case you are not familair with Rawhide, it is Red Hat's testing
grounds. It is a collection of all the latest, greatest, untested, unstable,
and just plain broken software.

Rawhide is the perfect environment to start merging in all of the latest,
greatest, untested, unstable, and just plain broken software which needs to
be ironned out for the future release of K12LTSP 3.0.

The first build is pretty modest, I just slapped the Rawhide RPMS in the
place of the Red Hat 7.3 rpms in K12LTSP 2.1.0. Yeah, I know that's cheating.
I wanted to set the precident that these Rawhide-based development releases
are in fact DEVELOPMENT RELEASES, they will all be ugly, nasty hacks that
probably won't actually work most of the time. The benefit is that we don't
have to worry about breaking anything, since we know that it is already
broken ;-)

I'm game to structure this in whatever manner works for those of you
submitting packages to be included. I've taken a first-crack at ground
rules just to get us started:  (in no particular order)

  * we'll try to keep it mostly functional, but particular subsystem may be
    broken at any given time

  * once we get something new ironned out, we'll backport it to K12LTSP 2.1.0
    if it does not require extensive changes

  * after July 1st, I'll provide an upload directory for new packages (I'm
    out of disk space right now and can't req new drives until July 1st...)
    Until then, just send a URL...

  * unless everyone objects, lets keep the communication on this list. No one
    has complained about esoteric development threads in the past & hopefully
    non-developers might find it interesting

  * software is available at either:

		ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/devel/rawhide/
		rsync k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us::K12LTSP-rawhide

    It is assumed that you're cluefull enough to figure out what's where based
    off of those URLs. If you are confused about what you need to download,
    this software is not for you - stick with the stable releases!

  * I'm going to keep the names for the ISOs consistent. 1.iso for disc 1,
    2.iso for disc 2, and so on works well for me. I'll included the build
    date in the name of the md5sum file (currently "md5sums_6-8-2002").
    Scream loudly if you can think of a cleaner way of dealing with this.

  * expect the ./i386 directory to be somewhat out of sync with the ./iso
    directory. I won't necessarily generate new isos for every trivial change

  * yes, k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us is currently usually overloaded. We're bumping
    up the bandwidth a fair amount come July 1st. Mirror sites welcome, as
    always ;-)

My first crack at a K12LTSP-rawhide build has its "quirks", but does work
for the most part. GNOME is pretty messed up, the installer will only let
you select KDE as the default session type. You have to manually install
the metacity package (and probably others) before you can select a GNOME
session and have it actually work, kinda-sorta. KDM does not work, but the
new GDM is very pretty ;-). OpenOffice seems to only work if you open it
multiple times (don't click "Ok" on the error that the first instance brings
up, otherwise it kills off the working copies!). Considering that I used
the package grouping configuration from K12LTSP 2.1.0, you should not be
shocked by the HUNDREDS of dependancy corrections during the last stages of
the install ;-)

Now to start merging in LTSP 3.1, Mosix, PPC/Sparc support, etc, etc.

-Eric