Re: [K12OSN] Samba/Windows XP Professional (warning - Long!)

Well - lets see. For starters there is ntlogon which should
be on rpmfind.net. Here is how it describes itself - and
I'll include the config file so you can get a feel for how
they have implemented things. One downside with this one for
many folks will be that it is a Python script.

[mrambo mrambo nt-logon-scripting]$ rpm -qi ntlogon-0.8-1mdk
Name        : ntlogon                      Relocations: /usr
Version     : 0.8                       Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 1mdk           Build Host: bi.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : Networking/Other                  License: GPL
Size        : 19759     Source RPM: ntlogon-0.8-1mdk.src.rpm
Packager    : Lenny Cartier <lenny mandrakesoft com>
URL         : http://www.exceptionalminds.com/rhacer/ntlogon
Summary     : Autogenerator for NT logon scripts
Description :
NTLogon is a Python script that generates Samba/NT-logon
scripts from an easy-to-modify configuration file. It
currently understands ths Samba macros fro User, Group and
Architecture. The configuration file looks like a cross
between an INI file and a DOS batchfile, so most Windows
users will feel somewhat comfortable with it.

[mrambo mrambo nt-logon-scripting]$ rpm -ql ntlogon-0.8-1mdk
/etc/ntlogon.conf
/usr/bin/ntlogon
/usr/share/doc/ntlogon-0.8
/usr/share/doc/ntlogon-0.8/README

[mrambo mrambo nt-logon-scripting]$ more /etc/ntlogon.conf
# Everything in the Global section applies to all users
# logging on to the network
[Global]

#Some substitution macro definitions
MAINDRIVE = G:
USERDRIVE = U:
SERVERNAME = myservername

@ECHO "Welcome to our network!!!"
NET TIME \\servername /SET /YES
NET USE %MAINDRIVE \\%SERVERNAME\globalshare /YES

# Map the private user area in the global section so we
# don't have to create individual user entries for each
# user!
NET USE %USERDRIVE \\servername\%U /YES

# Group entries, User entries and OS entries each start
# with the keyword followed by a dash followed by
# appropriately enough the Group name, the User name,
# or the OS name.
[Group-admin]
@ECHO "Welcome administrators!"
NET USE G: \\servername\adminshare1 /YES
NET USE I: \\servername\adminshare2 /YES

[Group-peons]
@ECHO "Be grateful we let you use computers!"
NET USE G: \\servername\peonshare1 /YES

[Group-hackers]
@ECHO "What can I do for you today great one?"
NET USE G: \\servername\hackershare1 /YES
NET USE I: \\servername\adminshare2 /YES

[User-fred]
@ECHO "Hello there Fred!"
NET USE F: \\servername\fredsspecialshare /YES

[OS-WfWg]
@ECHO "Time to upgrade isn't it?"

# End configuration file

The second one is a Perl script. The file is called
netlogon.tar.gz but I don't remember where I found it. It
consists of three files - one global defaults file, an xml
file you edit for on the fly logon configurations for groups
and users, and a perl script that makes it all work. As long
as I've already made this too long for a list serv I'll do
it up real good and include the xml and global files so you
can get somewhat of a feel for what it might do. The Perl
script is much too long of course...

[mrambo mrambo netlogon]$ more netlogon.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE netlogon SYSTEM "netlogon.dtd" []>
<netlogon>
  <global>
    <servername>trek</servername>
    <maindrive>S:</maindrive>
    <userdrive>H:</userdrive>
  </global>
  <group>
    <name>admin</name>
    <comment>Welcome Administrators!</comment>
    <share>adminshare</share>
    <drive>Z:</drive>
  </group>
  <user>
    <name>deryk</name>
    <comment>Hey dude!</comment>
    <share>homes\deryk</share>
    <drive>T:</drive>
  </user>
</netlogon>

[mrambo mrambo netlogon]$ more netlogon.dtd
<!ELEMENT netlogon (global, group+, user+)>
<!ELEMENT global (servername, maindrive, userdrive)>
<!ELEMENT servername (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT maindrive (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT userdrive (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT group (name, comment, share+, drive)>
<!ELEMENT user (name, comment, share+, drive)>
<!ELEMENT name (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT comment (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT share (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT drive (#PCDATA)>

Finally, since I can't remember where I found the perl
script, I've put both of these up in my webspace (such as it
is) so any who want them can get at them - click the linux
link of course...

http://scnc.lsd.k12.mi.us/~mrambo

Hope this helps.

--