Re: [K12OSN] Gconfd trouble on new install

Not specifically relevant to this post, but it brings up a question that I am always asked.....

For newbies to IP, the 10. and the 192. (and 169.???) are all class A (16 million addresses per) blocks of addresses that are NON-ROUTABLE - things that will not show up on the other side of a router. This means that by using such an address set 1) your network computers can have the same IP addresses as some other school / company / home / etc., without getting stuff intended for someone else 2) not expose your computers to the outside world directly. Network Address Translation (NAT) provides a single IP address to the outside world, and remaps the traffic to the appropriate inside address.

It is a lot more complicated, but this should answer the question "why 192. addresses?" in K12LTSP default configurations.....and why the 10. address in this post.