[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #230 - 11 msgs

>Message: 1
>From: Daniel Bo <danielbo clickta com>
>To: k12osn redhat com
>Subject: Re: printer problems (was Re: [K12OSN] thou unmuzzled fly-bitten pignut)
>Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:47:52 +0700
>
>Hans,
>In the interest of keeping tempers down, maybe you should not be the one
>answering anthony on this one.
>Sincerely,
>Daniel

Well, I'm done haranguing Hans.  He has tried to be helpful too, and I was wrong to jump down his throat.
tony

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Julius Szelagiewicz <julius turtle com>
>To: k12osn redhat com
>Subject: Re: [K12OSN] thou unmuzzled fly-bitten pignut
>
>Tony,
>	i decided to cut everything, so there. "localhost bad" usually
>shows up when dns is not working rigth, i suggest that you make sure your
>/etc/hosts file has 127.0.0.1 localhost as the first line and the real
>address realhostname.realdomain.xxx s the second, for example:
>216.216.171.231	www.turtle.com	www
>that takes care of "bad local host" and "can't resolve my domain name"
>from sendmail as well. good luck, julius
>
>p.s. just don't fret over Hans, he means well.

I can see that now.

Okay, I don't know what the "realhostname" and "realdomain name" should be.
I mean, this is not on a network, but all on one machine on my desktop.
My IP is server assigned/dynamic.
All of my sites (photodharma.com, school-library.net and librarypass.com)
are on Tripod's servers, so, I wouldn't use one of my domains.
I am a little confused by this.

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 6
>Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:54:22 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Julius Szelagiewicz <julius turtle com>
>To: k12osn redhat com
>Subject: Re: [K12OSN] bad hosts, loud music, horrible party
>
>Tony,
>	this is the name resolution problem. the /etc/hosts file is easier
>to fix than dns, so here it goes: i have a server named "solinden", this
>is the host name for it and what host command returns. the followinf are
>the first 4 lines in the /etc/hosts file:
>
># Do not remove the following line, or various programs
># that require network functionality will fail.
>127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
>216.216.171.235	solinden.turtle.com	solinden
>
>make sure yours looks similar and that the hostname you give the machine
>has the appropriate entry in /etc/hosts. also: almost everything works
>better when there is a real network connect present. good luck, julius

Okay, but I have no clue what the "realdomainname/realhostname" should be, here.
This is not on a network, just on my desktop.  My IP address is dynamic/server assigned.  I didn't assign any name to the computer when I installed.

tony

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email yourgroup org by Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag