Re: [K12OSN] gray screen in X

"Adam J. Melancon" wrote:

> Do you have your server set to boot to the command line instead of the
> graphical login?

<snip>

I've tried both ways - no difference. I have also, since I
am really just starting to experiment with LTSP, retrieved
version 2.1.0 of K12LTSP and installed that on the server (I
had been using v2.0.2 - and before that LTSP direct from the
LTSP project - that I did have working).  I have adjusted
all the files listed on the installation webpage to fit our
networks and conventions. The dhcpd.conf file is the same
one I used when I first tried using LTSP direct from the
LTSP project (before I discovered K12LTSP). It worked there
and I assume should work now.

But I still have the same problem. Seems I _have_ to have
missed something. If I wait long enough (several minutes)
I'll eventually see a "too many retransmissions" error but I
see nothing else as a clue to the problem on the
workstation. 'ps ax' on the workstation reveals the
following.

 443 root  S  sh /tmp/start_ws
 444 root  S  /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -query 192.168.3.1

If it makes any difference I can ping the LTSP server (or
anywhere else on our WAN) from the workstation so it would
appear communications are working.

On the subject of DNS, what should nslookup reveal on both
the server and workstation? I have noticed that a nslookup
on the server identifies the server and all hosts correctly
with their actual values but doing the same thing from the
CLI of a workstation doesn't. For example, a lookup of
ltws002 returns 127.0.0.1 and a name of localhost - does
this matter? Also, it has the server at the correct IP but
just calls it server rather than the actual name in use for
the server - does this matter? It strikes that this may be
entirely correct behavior, and manually hacking workstation
/tmp/resolv.conf and /tmp/hosts files such that nslookup
does return actual values doesn't help either, but I'm just
not sure and don't know where else to look.

Finally, this is found in the server log (manually wrapped
in an effort toward readability).

Jun 13 08:10:27 linuxts1 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from
		00:e0:b8:18:64:15 via eth1
Jun 13 08:10:27 linuxts1 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.3.152
		to 00:e0:b8:18:64:15 via eth1
Jun 13 08:10:29 linuxts1 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST
		for 192.168.3.152 (192.168.3.1)
		from 00:e0:b8:18:64:15 via eth1
Jun 13 08:10:29 linuxts1 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.3.152
		to 00:e0:b8:18:64:15 via eth1
Jun 13 08:10:30 linuxts1 rpc.mountd: authenticated mount
		request from ltws002.tsworld.local:687 for
		/opt/ltsp/i386 (/opt/ltsp/i386)
Jun 13 08:10:32 linuxts1 rpc.mountd: authenticated mount
		request from ltws002.tsworld.local:789 for
		/var/opt/ltsp/swapfiles
		(/var/opt/ltsp/swapfiles)
Jun 13 08:10:35 ltws002 syslogd started: BusyBox v0.60.1
		(2001.09.28-01:12+0000)
Jun 13 08:10:35 ltws002 init: Entering runlevel: 2
Jun 13 08:10:35 ltws002 devfsd[107]: Caught SIGHUP
Jun 13 08:10:35 ltws002 devfsd[107]:
		read config file: "/etc/devfsd.conf"
Jun 13 08:10:36 ltws002 init: Switching to runlevel: 5

Help! Any assistance is very greatly appreciated.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo lsd k12 mi us