RE: [K12OSN] gray screen in X

Hi mike,

Bert here.

> I've tried both ways - no difference. I have also, since I
> am really just starting to experiment with LTSP, retrieved
> version 2.1.0 of K12LTSP and installed that on the server (I
> had been using v2.0.2 - and before that LTSP direct from the
> LTSP project - that I did have working).  I have adjusted
> all the files listed on the installation webpage to fit our
> networks and conventions. The dhcpd.conf file is the same
> one I used when I first tried using LTSP direct from the
> LTSP project (before I discovered K12LTSP). It worked there
> and I assume should work now.

I'm using K12LTSP v2.0 without any problems. I haven't modified the DHCPD
files.

> But I still have the same problem. ..............<SNIP>

> If it makes any difference I can ping the LTSP server (or
> anywhere else on our WAN) from the workstation so it would
> appear communications are working.

Communications are working. The problem isn't with DHCP or TCP/IP

> On the subject of DNS, what should nslookup reveal on both
> the server and workstation? ..........<SNIP>

This is a red herring, it ties in with DHCP.

> Finally, this is found in the server log (manually wrapped
> in an effort toward readability).
>
> Jun 13 08:10:27 linuxts1 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from
> 		00:e0:b8:18:64:15 via eth1

DHCP has recognised the MAC address of the terminal NIC

> Jun 13 08:10:27 linuxts1 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.3.152
> 		to 00:e0:b8:18:64:15 via eth1

IP address is assigned to the terminal NIC

> Jun 13 08:10:29 linuxts1 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST
> 		for 192.168.3.152 (192.168.3.1)
> 		from 00:e0:b8:18:64:15 via eth1

Terminal makes a request to server (bootstrap I think)

> Jun 13 08:10:29 linuxts1 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.3.152
> 		to 00:e0:b8:18:64:15 via eth1

Server acknowledges request from terminal

> Jun 13 08:10:30 linuxts1 rpc.mountd: authenticated mount
<SNIP>
> Jun 13 08:10:36 ltws002 init: Switching to runlevel: 5

The kernel loads and the X server attempts to start for that terminal
session.

The grey screen is related to the X server NOT dhcp.

I have found the following causes for this.
	- Incorrect mouse type specified. Beware of typos for serial mouse, it is
/dev/ttyS0 where 0="zero". Also note that mouse 		  protocol can cause
this.
	- Incorrect Xserver specified. The Xserver specifies the resolution and
refresh ratres for the card.

Hope this helps,
Bert