RE: [K12OSN] gray screen in X

Hi Mike

I would agree with Bert comments.  Check to see if the mouse on the work
station is at "Com 1" or "Com 2" sorry to use the windoze term.  You may
need to change to /dev/ttyS1 for that machine in the lts.conf file

I can't find where you said what machines you are using as work
stations.  In my case it is a real mixture of specifications and cards.
For 486's and other older machines (especially those with ISA Network
Cards) but even with pentiums I have found it easier to set each up
individually with a fixed IP address in the dhcpd.conf file and the then
use the workstation name specifed in this file to individually setup the
X-configuration in the its.conf file.  I prominently label each machine
so I remember what the workstation name I have given it.  I also write
the MAC address on the outside face of the network card.  This makes it
easy to individually tweak a particular machine, rather than rely on the
default settings.  Many of my older machine use the old VGA, SVA and
VESA settings in X and most need to be set for RAM and resolution.  Both
files have good examples and the documentation on the K12LTSP and the
LTSP website is great.
You are probably already doing things like this so forgive me if "I am
trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs" so as to speak.

Keith & Chris Turner
167 Innes Rd
St Albans
Christchurch 8005