Re: [K12OSN] Older boxes hang trying to mount nfs

Answered some of my own questions in time...

Mike Rambo wrote:

<snip>

> The last messages I see are:
>
> doing the pivot_root
> nfs: server ... not responding
> nfs: server ... not responding
> nfs: server ... ok
> nfs: task 63 can't get a request slot
> nfs: task 64 can't get a request slot

Apparently the 3c503 netcard was the cause of this.
Replacing with an ne card makes it work.

> Speaking of older boxes, I have looked but been unable to
> find any specifications on what a minimum workstation
> configuration might be. We want to run X windows (ICEwm is
> fine), educational games, open office, a browser etc. What
> is the minimum configuration (processor speed, ram) that
<snip>

Appears that 16MB is about the minimum to run X. My 8MB box
won't do it. The 486-50 seems useable though you'd best look
elsewhere if you're in a hurry.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo lsd k12 mi us