Date: Friday, June 14, 2002 10:40:41 AM
Subject: [K12OSN] Older boxes hang trying to mount nfs

I have a newer gateway box running well as a workstation
finally. Now I'm trying to get where we really wanted to go
- that being to get older equipment to be useable again via
LTSP.

I have an 8MB IBM Eduquest Forty (hey now - stop that
laughing - at least the Twenty-Fives and Thirties will be
gone by the end of this summer ;-) and a 16MB IBM 330
(486-50) both of which hang during boot. I'm using ltsp-5
kernels as I've been told previously that newer kernel have
troubles with older 486 boxes (BTW, the -5 kernel is ok with
the Gateway box). The last messages I see are:

doing the pivot_root
nfs: server ... not responding
nfs: server ... not responding
nfs: server ... ok
nfs: task 63 can't get a request slot
nfs: task 64 can't get a request slot

Speaking of older boxes, I have looked but been unable to
find any specifications on what a minimum workstation
configuration might be. We want to run X windows (ICEwm is
fine), educational games, open office, a browser etc. What
is the minimum configuration (processor speed, ram) that
will reasonably permit this keeping in mind that this old
equipment is already common here and teachers are used to
slower performance (not that we like it).

Thanks.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo lsd k12 mi us