[K12OSN] ThinkNIC Sound with 2.1.0

We are setting up a computer lab in our church library using the k12ltsp modules.  I currently have the system running on my home system (Athlon system running RedHat 7.3 with k12ltsp 2.1.0) using ThinkNICs and other generic pcs using floppy bootups.

I get adequate sound on the ThinkNIC when running Xine or XMMS under KDE or ICEWM when the apps are set to us "esd."  I cannot get "aRts" or "OSS" modules to work on the terminals under KDE 3.0x.  I have the recommended SMODULE_01 = cmpci set in lts.conf.

Is there an equivalent setup for local cdrom access similar to floppyd?  It would be nice to mount cdroms on the terminals for data or music (with headphones of course!).

Finally, I discovered a cheap and effective way to build thin clients.  The ECS K7SEM comes with a daughter card that provide onboard LAN that boots pxe.  It also has ac97 sound using the i_810 module and onboard video that works fine with Xvesa.  I ordered one from MWAVE with floppy, cdrom, 128 mb memory, kb and mouse for about $150.  With the ThinkNICs now costing $250, this looks an attractive alternative.
Rev. Dr. Daniel Loomis
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
A Community of Witness and Service
El Dorado, AR