[K12OSN] Missing app found: "Access" for OpenOffice.org

I came across this earlier this evening, at PCLinuxOnline:
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2460

The linked PDF describes how to use OpenOffice.org as a MS Access-like front-end to MySQL (I imagine you could do the same with PostgreSQL, with some tweaking).  I already had the necessary components (OpenOffice.org, MySQL + client, MyODBC, unixODBC) installed on my Red Hat 7.3 box, so installation was a snap.  It took me all of about 15 minutes to get it up and running.  Beautiful.  I haven't thoroughly tested it, but everything seems to work okay.

Tip:  For easy cutting and pasting with the ini files, I converted the PDF to text format, using pdftotext.

cdh

Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email yourgroup org by Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag