Re: [K12OSN] Wireless LAN - PCI adapter replacement

Stephen,

There are 2 different standards.

  PCMCIA - this is 16-bit, and laptops have had this for many years

  Cardbus - this is 32-bit, and hasn't been around as long as pcmcia.

in my experience, PCMCIA cards will fit in any of the pcmcia/cardbus
slots and work.  (Assuming there are drivers).

But, Cardbus cards will only fit in cardbus slots.

The two cards look the same, but if you look really closely, on one
of the sides, there is a little guide that is a difference size
on cardbus cards, and it prevents it from fitting into an old
pcmcia slot.

This is important, because alot of the PCMCIA->PCI adapters, or
PCMCIA-ISA adapters are only for the 16-bit PCMCIA cards, and they
won't accept the Cardbus cards.

At least that is the case with the 2 adapters that I have, only
PCMCIA cards will fit.

But, i've found that all of the wireless lan adapters that I've
seen are 16-bit pcmcia, so they work.  (That's not to say that ALL
wireless cards are that way, just the cards that I've seen).

So, when you buy an adapter card for your desktop PC, try to
get a PCMCIA/Cardbus adapter, because that will be the most flexible.

And, when you buy your wireless lan card, try to make sure it
is PCMCIA and not Cardbus.  Again, that will be the most flexible.

I have a hunch that the new 54mb wireless cards (802.11a) are probably
32-bit cardbus.

As for USB wireless, the wireless_ltsp package doesn't support those
yet.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org