[K12OSN] Pros and Cons of diskless

I have been subscribed to this list for just over a week and I find it very interesting and informative.

This summer I am setting up a new student lab with about thirty workstations. Because of politics and the like, ten of the workstations will be running Windows 98, the remainder will be Linux thin clients. This is my way of slipping Linux into the school with the goal of replacing Windows as much as possible.

Now my question. In a series of articles posted on linuxworld.com (http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2001/0823.xterminal.html) Colin Matoon described using workstations with a full Linux installations, minus KDE and apps, as thin clients. The apps would be on a server that also acts as a gateway to the remainder of the network.

He claims better performance, less network traffic, lower costs, and easier management. The K12 Linux project seems to be a diskless implementation of thin clients. What are some of the pros and cons of totally diskless clients?

Mark

Mark Carrara
Technology Coordinator
School District of Gilman