From: Mark Carrara [mailto:mcarrara gilman k12 wi us]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 10:19 AM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: [K12OSN] Pros and Cons of diskless

I have been subscribed to this list for just over a week and I find it very
interesting and informative.

This summer I am setting up a new student lab with about thirty
workstations.  Because of politics and the like, ten of the workstations
will be running Windows 98, the remainder will be Linux thin clients.  This
is my way of slipping Linux into the school with the goal of replacing
Windows as much as possible.

Now my question.  In a series of articles posted on linuxworld.com
(http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2001/0823.xterminal.html) Colin
Matoon described using workstations with a full Linux installations, minus
KDE and apps, as thin clients.  The apps would be on a server that also
acts as a gateway to the remainder of the network.

He claims better performance, less network traffic, lower costs, and easier
management.  The K12 Linux project seems to be a diskless implementation of
thin clients.  What are some of the pros and cons of totally diskless
clients?

Mark

Mark Carrara
Technology Coordinator