RE: [K12OSN] Pros and Cons of diskless

Another PRO for the network centric concept.
I my district's near future the idea of a "technology budget" is going to go out the window. Cool I try to decrease my budget every year anyway. A network centric model based on Linux allows a district to spread the funds evenly to everyone. If you only have $2000 double the RAM in your k12ltsp servers, BAM! all your users get an increase in performance. Or buy a new server and load balance.

Also a PRO, based on my experience with modern hardware (PCI Pentium class) K12LTSP is closer to plug and play then Intel's PNP (plug and pray ;) )
You can setup a server and let students hook up workstations.

PRO - the already mentioned time to setup a workstation. That's a big one.
PRO - take the harddrive out of a machine and it runs forever "ON" no moving parts.

side note: a compromise make bootable CD's, lock the CD trays, has anyone done this ??? As suggested load all the boot-up, kernel, Xserver, display manager locally via CD and connect to a server for apps and swap ? Still moving parts...but a cheap way to boot modern BIOS PC's and reduce network traffic and use some of the local processor power. Please comment...

CON - Yes you need a kick ass server or servers - - but if your workstations can handle it run apps locally.
CON - Yes you need a solid network - - much cheaper these days.

Thanks,
Tom Ventresco
Austintown Local Schools