HDD imaging using Ghost or Linux.........WAS........RE: [K12OSN] Pros and Cons of diskless

"Bert Rolston" <BertR wanganui-city school nz> wrote:

> I have a BackPack portable CD-RW. I use it to burn the ghost image to the
> CD, and to re-image machines when Win9x breaks. My version of Ghost doesn't
> allow network re-imaging so I have to use this method

Just out of curiosity, what version of Ghost are you using?  It's been
my experience that any version of Ghost will work with a mapped network
drive...(of course, we had to create custom boot disks for each
network).

> I'm not that au fait with Linux tools, I'm going by what I've read so far.
> Any of the technically advanced people PLEASE butt in! :-)
>

> By using DD it is possible to make an exact image of a disk or filesystem
> (hard drive, floppy, CD). Therefore disk image can be stored on a linux
> server. (I got this from the CD-ROM server How-To)

When I was setting up my servers, I bought an extra hard drive and used
DD to make copies from it to each server.  It was slow, but it worked.

You might also want to check out: http://www.partimage.org/ - from what
I can tell it's a Ghost-like program that works with not only Linux and
Windows based filesystems, but Macintosh as well.

--Josh Levine