[K12OSN] roaming profiles in Linux

This is a little off topic, but I'm curious.  Can Linux store profiles on
another server like NT can?  Let's say I had a classroom of Linux
workstations (not terminals) and I wanted the students to log into
(authenticate) to my E-Smith server.  Can their individual settings
(desktop, icons, and so forth) be saved on the E-Smith server so that they
can have the same settings regardless of the Linux workstation they are
on?  If so...how is this done?  I wouldn't want to have to set up accounts
for every kid on every workstation...I just want the user accounts on the
E-Smith box.

(PS...I'm more curious than anything...I'm planning to roll out K12LTSP in
a few weeks)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School