Re(2): [K12OSN] roaming profiles in Linux

I think this would be very useful, any documents explaining more detail on
the setup?

k12osn redhat com writes:
>nis+, ldap
>
>On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, David Trask wrote:
>
>> This is a little off topic, but I'm curious.  Can Linux store profiles
>on
>> another server like NT can?  Let's say I had a classroom of Linux
>> workstations (not terminals) and I wanted the students to log into
>> (authenticate) to my E-Smith server.  Can their individual settings
>> (desktop, icons, and so forth) be saved on the E-Smith server so that
>they
>> can have the same settings regardless of the Linux workstation they are
>> on?  If so...how is this done?  I wouldn't want to have to set up
>accounts
>> for every kid on every workstation...I just want the user accounts on
>the
>> E-Smith box.

Dalton W. Bly, ESD 101 Technology Manager
Manager, Network Services Cooperative
K20 Regional Data/Video ITU
Educational Service District 101
4202 South Regal, Spokane, WA 99223