Re: [K12OSN] Is Win4Lin Free or do you have to pay?

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 12:27 pm, Yancey B. Jones wrote:
> [...]

So what does this mean when you disect a computer? I often take new computers,
and strip the parts, putting in my own, and playing musical chairs with a
bunch of other computers.  Does the license follow the case? the CPU? The
hard drive it was installed on? Does it mean if you upgrade your computer you
have to purchase a new license?

As this relates to Win4Lin, etc if you have an OEM licence on a computer for
XP, upgrade it so its a nice beefy machine, throw linux at it, and install XP
in VMWare or whatever, this seems to be in agreement with the intrepretations
so far.  But the problem comes when you start with networking, if I did that,
but ran the VMWare session remotely, and had many instances of it (read only
os image) this clearly is not what they want, but it also seems to be in
agreement.  This sort of senerio was common place when Unix had its
beginings, but then the idea went away.  Well, its coming back, and most
licence agreements are not equiped to hanndle it.  Expect lots of grey areas
until the industry realizes it.

Jay