RE: [K12OSN] Is Win4Lin Free or do you have to pay?

That would be dependent on a few factors. I can sell an OEM version of
Windows as long as I sell it with a piece of hardware. That license then
goes with the hardware it was sold with. If it is sold with a system,
then there is one of those grey areas you mentioned. What actually
constitutes the system? I do not think that it was the intent of MS to
have organizations purchasing systems with OEM licenses, or at least not
using OEM licenses (this is just my opinion). That is why there are
special licensing terms/prices for different size organizations. I would
also have to guess that most end users (those who purchase pre-built
systems) don't do that much tinkering.

> As this relates to Win4Lin, etc if you have an OEM licence on
> a computer for
> XP, upgrade it so its a nice beefy machine, throw linux at
> it, and install XP
> in VMWare or whatever, this seems to be in agreement with the
> intrepretations
> so far.

Agreed.

> But the problem comes when you start with
> networking, if I did that,
> but ran the VMWare session remotely, and had many instances
> of it (read only
> os image) this clearly is not what they want, but it also
> seems to be in
> agreement.  This sort of senerio was common place when Unix had its
> beginings, but then the idea went away.  Well, its coming
> back, and most
> licence agreements are not equiped to hanndle it.  Expect
> lots of grey areas
> until the industry realizes it.

This would not be within the licensing agreement then because you are
running the same license in multiple instances. Actually XP is supposed
to stop this from happening (never tested it in reality though). My
guess is that this is not a grey area for MS.

Please don't take this as me being supportive of their licensing. I am
an OEM/VAR and I have to look at this licensing crud on a daily basis.
Much of the reason that my company is pushing forward on the Linux side
is directly because of what MS is doing.

-Yancey