Re: [K12OSN] Pros and Cons of diskless

I have what may be a better idea, although I haven't tried it: put a CD-RW
drive in the workstation rather than a Zip or LS120.  This has several
advantages.  One, many students may not own a Zip or LS120 at home, but just
about everyone has a cdrom drive.  If a student will be carrying files back
and forth frequently, have him/her use a re-writeable disk.  Two, since CD-R
and CD-RW disks aren't proprietary like Zip and LS120, there are many makers,
they're cheaper, etc.  If you watch the newspaper ads, you can get CD-R disks
for free after a mail-in rebate.  Three, what with CD-RW drives now selling
for less than $50, they're cheaper than Zip or LS120 drives, and the disks
hold more data.

Now, as I've said, I've not tried this in an LTSP environment, but if a
floppy in the terminal can be made usable, I'd think a CD-RW could too, even
though it's on a different bus.

Petre