From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf
Of Bert Rolston
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 2:19 PM
To: 'k12osn redhat com'
Subject: [K12OSN] MS MOLP...WAS... Is Win4Lin Free... ?

Hi all,

Bert here with some historiacl trivia........sorta.

> Also, of recent note: Microsoft is publicly pushing the point that,
> according to their licensing agreements (with users? with OEMs? -
unclear
> at this point) that MACHINES SHIPPED WITH WINDOWS ON THEM MUST REMAIN
> WINDOWS MACHINES - the license and the machine are one. Details are
> sketchy, but it might be construed that, even if you separate the
machine
> and the OS, that OS cannot be used on another computer. This is not
how I
> interpreted the text, but who knows?

Many moons ago when M$ licnecing was a little more reasonable ;-)

We purchased our hardware without software and got an MS MOLP for Win95.

Therefore the licence is separate from the hardware. The NZ Govt.
negotiating a 2 yr deal with MS that allows us to update our OS MOLP to
 the latest OS, or anything in between. We have 50 Win95 licences, so we

don't have this problem.

Willie Shakespeare wrote these immortal word in "MacBeth"

"Oh what a tangled web we weave........."

MS software licences............tangled webs.............???

Cheers,
Bert