RE: [K12OSN] Pros and Cons of diskless

Hi Yancey and All

At 06:50 PM 2002/6/19 -0400, you wrote:
This would still suffer from the same problem as Zip/LS120 or any other
type of removable media. The user would have to have one at home (in
this case a CD-RW). Maybe another good way would be to have them
accessible from the Internet, Yahoo Briefcase gives 30MB and it works
fine from Mozilla and IE.

Using Internet for file transfer, my original suggestion, still has following problems waiting to solve :

1) The size of a student's email box
2) The burden of traffic shall be increased during up and down loading files

Petre's suggestion is a good idea. I have been using CD-RW for sometimes. It is very convenient and economical because reusable. But it is not easy to manage, The new CD-RW of speed 4X - 10X cannot be used in those old CD-Writers of speed 1X, 2X and 4X. This is still my headache

However, apart from the aforesaid headache, it is a good suggestion and I would like to hear some suggestion of integrating a CD-Writer to a thin client and/or desktop workstation from the list.

How can a student save his work is an interesting topic. Any more suggestions ???

Thanks

Stephen