RE: [K12OSN] Pros and Cons of diskless

At 10:47 AM 6/20/2002, you wrote:
I am not interested talking about running MSOffice, PhotoShop, IE, etc on Crossover. We have similar applications on KDE and GNOME. My concern is whether some special software can run on Crossover such as :
- ArchiCAD
- TurboCAD
- FloorPlan
- 3D Home Architect
- Home Design
- Auto Sketch
- 3D Studio Viz
- Lightscape etc.

and some other software for program writer, compilers, etc. All of them run on Windows including many other special software. For such a reason many people fail migrating completely to Linux. I got the same experience.

I would guess, at least based on the graphical driver set that most of these CAD applications require, that they will NOT run under LINUX, no matter what. Even if, strategically, you are moving to LINUX, there may be tactical reasons to retain, in this case, Windows. Just remember, diversity in IT environment radically increases costs, as you need a different set of tools and skills to manage both. Companies write products to go where the market is - LINUX market share is just starting to get attention.

However, that does not mean there are not alternatives in LINUX - the point of LINUX is that you can do it better, cheaper, faster, not that you can replace the underlying OS, and still have the same application set (although that is the goal of most users - they could care less about the OS, if it just runs the apps they need!)

Check out http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue54/frost.html for a list and description of a bunch of CAD programs under LINUX.