RE: [K12OSN] Pros and Cons of diskless

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your response.

At 12:01 PM 2002/6/20 -0600, you wrote:
At 10:47 AM 6/20/2002, you wrote:
I am not interested talking about running MSOffice, PhotoShop, IE, etc on Crossover. We have similar applications on KDE and GNOME. My concern is whether some special software can run on Crossover such as :
- ArchiCAD
- TurboCAD
- FloorPlan
- 3D Home Architect
- Home Design
- Auto Sketch
- 3D Studio Viz
- Lightscape etc.

and some other software for program writer, compilers, etc. All of them run on Windows including many other special software. For such a reason many people fail migrating completely to Linux. I got the same experience.

However, that does not mean there are not alternatives in LINUX - the point of LINUX is that you can do it better, cheaper, faster, not that you can replace the underlying OS, and still have the same application set (although that is the goal of most users - they could care less about the OS, if it just runs the apps they need!)

I am a Windows users for sometimes trying migrating to Linux completely. My destination still has certain distance ahead. My migration has been compelled to stop from time to time because of Windows applications and adding to it the political reasons.

Most people are interested in finding alternatives for those expensive Windows applications and I am not an exception. However we are cautious to move one step not to disturb our daily life. Can old files be opened ? in particular those files worked by group members. I would like to hear from this list subscribers any encouraging advice about the possible alternatives of the Windows applications mentioned hereinabove.

It is not much sense keeping 2 OS in same place but we are compelled to maintain this arrangement without a complete solution.

I am worrying whether our discussion shall annoy other subscribers of this list. Is there a suitable place where we can continue, changing a more suitable subject heading ?

Check out http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue54/frost.html for a list and description of a bunch of CAD programs under LINUX.

Noted with thanks

Stephen