Re: [K12OSN] (no subject)

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Duane Wilson wrote:

>I made the change in squid.conf.
>Here is the squidGuard.log file

<snip>
2002-06-23 21:43:58 [1272] squidGuard 1.2.0 started (1024893837.257)
2002-06-23 21:43:58 [1272] squidGuard ready for requests (1024893838.572)

The squid & squidGuard processes are running, the log file says that
squidGuard started up successfully and is ready for requests. As far as I
can tell it is up and functioning properly.

>>?Once you do get it up and running, be aware that you can not FORCE the use
>>?of the filter if it is running on the same server that you are using to run
>>?terminals. If you need to force the use of the filter, it needs to be on
>>?a seperate server.
>
>I don't know what you mean by FORCE the use of the filter.

Force as in non-optional... it must be used. If you have the filter on the
terminal server, the filter is only optional for terminals - the filter
could be by-passed by simply unsetting the brower's proxy settings.

>If I want to add a seperate server do I add it in serial between my
>firewall/router and my K12ltsp server or do I add it in parrallel along with
>the K12ltsp server?

You can either add it in serial or in parrallel.

If you add it in parallel, you can add a rule to your firewall or router that
only allows web traffic to the filter - all users then MUST set their brower's
proxy settings to use the filter.

If you run it in serial, you can do transparent proxing which does not require
any special configuration of the user's browsers. See the squid FAQ for a
couple ways of setting this up http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html

-Eric