Re: [K12OSN] Customizing Available Applications

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Paul Williams wrote:

>I'd like to customize (reduce) the list of
>applications available to users on the terminals using
>the standard K12LTSP install.  I'd really just like a
>single browser choice, a few of the KDE Office type
>programs and Abiword.  Am I right in thinking that
>(installing/uninstalling) those as root on the server
>automatically alters what is available to the
>terminals?  My preference is to not necessarily build
>it from scratch because the K12LTSP distro works so
>well as it is.
>
>I don't even mind if the programs remain installed as
>long as there isn't an (easy) way to get to them
>through the WM (ICEWM).  BTW, I'd also like to make
>that the default manager when logging in - w/out the
>choices for KDE or Gnome.
>
>I'm a bit new to all of this but I do have a server
>and several terminals up and running as a test for a
>larger implementation.  I've looked at all of the
>walk-throughs on K12LTSP site but there doesn't
>(appear) to be a mention of this kind of
>customization.
>
>-Paul Williams

This is pretty straight-forward with IceWM.

First, remove the icewm-gnome packages (this is what adds the gnome/kde menus)

	rpm -e icewm-gnome

Next, install the icewm-default packages. This is on one of the K12LTSP 2.1.0
disks, or you can install it over the net:

	rpm -ihv ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/2.1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/icewm-default-1.0.9-3_ltsp.i386.rpm

You can customize the menus by running "iceme", the IceWM menu editor. If I
remember corrrectly (I'm not sitting at a box with icewm installed right now),
it will save a couple of files in the .icewm directory in your home directory.
Copy these files to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icewm/ to make it the default for all
users.

To make IceWM the default, cd to /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/ and run the command:

	ln -sf IceWM default

You can remove the scripts for Gnome/KDE/etc and they'll no longer show up
as options (a better idea would be just to mark them as non-executable:
"chmod a-x Gnome KDE").

-Eric