RE: [K12OSN] WYSE terminal Newbie Q

> On Tuesday 25 June 2002 3:48 pm, Steve Wright wrote:
> > Ash Green wrote:
> > >Hi all, am trying to get a new lab up and running over summer and I've
> > > been offered a load of WYSE 325ES terminals ... I figure that because
> > > they came from a client/server environment then they should be able to
> > > deal with a X session.  Possibly.
> >
> > 8-(  I don't think they'll do X.   I think they're VT-100 type thingys,
> > which means ASCII only.
>
> You are correct. Though VT-100 is only one of the term types it
> supports, WYSE
> has its own set, as well as adapting some of the VT sets.   WYSE
> has almost
> exclusivly done "dumb terms" which tend to be only serial port
> connections.
> However, their more recent technology has expanded, and I dont know what
> other products they have.

I thought as much.  The fact that the support site refers to the newer set
of terminals as 'WinTerms' gave it away a bit.  Ho hum.

> > Now, let someone else on this list confirm that, before you drop the
> > idea entirely.  8-}
> >
> > Nice looking unit though.  I wonder if you could rip the guts out of it
> > and add a seperate little
> > PC box..  hmmmm.  If the keyboard connector is PS2, then it just needs a
> > VGA-in connector on the monitor.
> > http://www.wyse.com/products/gpt/wy325es.htm
> >
> > >I've found this package
> >
> >http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/redhat/updates/6.2/i386/ncurses-5.0-
> 12.i386.h
> > >tm l which seems to infer that the terminal can deal with some icky 8
> > > colour display - which if it's just word processing or data analysis
> > > shouldn't be much of a problem.  Theoretically.
> >
> > If you are prepared to use a text-based environment, these will work
> > fine under Linux.  If you want to try this,
> > talk to the donater ASAP and see if you can get the terminal-server
> > hardware, and cabling.  (this will cost plenty
> > to replace)
> Yeah, I would invest some time into what you have before going
> after it.  To
> connect 25 serial port connections to a single box is not
> something most PC's
> know how to do. You need to purchase hardware that either mutex's serial
> ports, or you need to have a whole array of serial ports
> (somewhat dependent
> on how the terminals work).  Also, the standard serial ports on
> most PCs are
> only good for cables up to around 20ft, if you want a true lab
> set up, you
> will more than likely want cabling longer than this, so speficic hardware
> will be required.

On these there's a seperate RJ45 socket adapter thing that's bolted onto the
serial communication port ... so theoretically a 10/100 mb hub should be
able to deal with it - although I've aware that may well be a terribly
naieve statement.  I'll give the suppliers a shout and find out what they
were playing with.

> > and then it's just a matter con configuring it to Telnet to
> > a Linux box somewhere, and run WordPerfect
> > for Linux, in Text Mode.
> >
> If you can get the hardware, then the setup is very simple.  You
> dont need a
> second server or anything, but the server these connect into will
> function as
> if it had 20 or so keyboard/monitors hooked up to them. So
> install whatever
> you want on that server and they all have access to it.   If you
> can still
> find the original versions of WordPerfect for various Unix's that is good
> software for word processing. You also have Links or Lynks for
> web viewing,
> Pine for email, and many library catalog systems are still text based, so
> maybe you could even hook up to that as well.
>
> Jay

Comments muchly appreciated, I'll call the skip now ;-)

Ash