[K12OSN] Lost root password

I am running Red Hat 7.2 on my main file server.  I
was adding and deleting users and groups
using the KDE Control-Panel.  I somehow eliminated the
root passwd.  I  have been trying
to reinstall the root passwd by bringing the computer
up with an installation CD and going
into Linux rescue.  I was not able to delete the
passwd in the shadow file and I then lost the
ability to even go into linux rescue.  It now causes
the computer to go into a mode where it
wants to reboot.  I can log in as myself.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might fix
this problem.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jennifer Waters