Re: [K12OSN] POP3 email server

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Chris Thomas wrote:

> I'm trying to get a email server to work so I can use Netscape or some other
> email client. SMTP works (sendmail), but a pop3 server wasn't installed. I
> found in some redhat documentation that the cd has a pop3 server named imap.
> I installed it but I don't know how to configure it or start it at boot. Can
> someone give me some tips. Thanks in advance.

Ack ... hit the wrong button --

Install imap, and then run as root in a console window:

   setup

and enable the pop3 system service.  If you are using firewall
rules, modify appropriately.

Given the lack of understanding on how the configuration
works, it is likely that you are a new systems administrator.

If you have not done so, update your systems binaries for
patches -- the systems libraries for ALL released Red Hat
versions presently contain updated versions, addressing
security matters, the nature of which are outside the scope of
this piece.

Once applied, reboot, to ensure all daemons apply the new
libraries.  There are other ways to this end, but that one is
most direct.

Before exposing the host on the public internet, you probably
should have an admin, experienced with security matters, lock
down and perhaps remove the packages for un-needed services.

This is counter-intuitive to a purchased proprietary software
admin approach, where one lovingly accretes all sorts of
packages against possible future use.  A secured Open Source
*nix system has ONLY what it needs, for the remaining packages
are freely available and continuously updated.  There is no
NEED to horde, when software is 'Free'.

If the admin is not familiar with an RPM package manager based
*nix approach, keep looking for another admin -- An old line
Unix admin (as I am) who is not an RPM user, will not
immediately find the correct answer to hardening an RPM based
system.

Consider joining your local LUG, and you should consider
asking its leader for a recomendation of the top three members
who are professional systems admins.  Interview and get
pricing.  A LUG list is at the Red Hat site.

-- good luck

-- Russ Herrold