Re: [K12OSN] Linux Uptake in K12

k12osn redhat com writes:
>Dear All,
>
>I am currently looking at the level of uptake of Linux within the K12
>sector both in the US and abroad. What are peoples experiences with the
>powers that be when it comes to advocating Linux based solutions? Have
>any
>states (or regions) adopted Linux as the standard as some have with Apple?

In the US...the State of Maine is providing laptops for every single 7th
and 8th grader beginning this fall.  We chose Apple...simply because they
were the only viable option out of those who submitted bids.  Most others
only offered "devices" running Windows Pocket PC or CE.  Apple offered the
iBook running OS X.  While OS X isn't open source itself...it's based on
open source "Darwin" and therefore is a Unix based product as well.  I've
been thoroughly impressed with the stability and ease of use of OS X and
the fact that it "plays nice" with my network (predominantly Linux servers
and Win98 clients).  In the US no one actually adopts standards except
maybe "locally".  Around here....some districts are PC some are
Apple....most are integrated with Apple tending to be more at the lower
grade levels and PC's at the upper grade levels.  Linux is slowly making
inroads...particularly at the server level, but is still pretty much
non-existent on desktops except in isolated districts.  Some of us here in
Maine are hoping to roll out K12LTSP networks this fall.

>Finally, as the company I work for is a developers of a typing tutor and
>developer tool which in both cases are available for all major platforms,
>we'd like to know what products people are currently using within the K12
>sector with regard to these two areas.

Work on developing for OS X as well...I think it's gonna' take off....

>Anyway if you interested a free demo version of our Typing Tutor is
>available from (please ask for information on our special student pricing
>offer):
>
>http://www.runrev.com/tenthumbs/index.html
>
>Also you can download a free trial of our developer tool (Revolution)
>from:
>
>http://www.runrev.com/revolution/downloads/index.html
>
>(Revolution: student/teacher licences $99)
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Rod

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator